SARM ASSOCIATION OF RURAL MUN ICIPALITIES
JUNE 17, 2009 DIVISION 5 MEETING
NOTES & MINUTES
Division 5 Director, Richard Porter called the meeting to order at 10:00, introduced invited guests, ministry officials and staff, SARM staff and officials and welcomed Councillors, Reeves, Administrators in attendance.
Minutes: RM 376, RM 461 - Minutes approved as circulated on the SARM website.
Resolution Committee – Ken Engel
Richard Porter Director’s Report on Committees & Issues
- Clearing the Path – Construction Approvals – Require confirmation if projects are going forward.
- Saskatchewan Agriculture Hall of Fame – Induction of Sinclair Harrison
- MREP – Program background
- Municipal Awards – 3rd Year with 20 municipalities being recognized; 2009 Awards & mentions to Division 5 RM’s – (Paddockwood, Prairie Rose, Canwood, Buckland) Encouraged municipalities to start thinking about submissions for 2010. This is an opportunity to showcase the projects and partnerships in Rural Saskatchewan.
Video of 2009 Municipal Award – Regional Leadership and Partnership Category
(RM of Buckland, Peter Ballantyne Cree Nation, Little Red River Band Administration)
Dave Marit, President SARM, Report on National Issues
- Annexation Issues – Agreement with Cities for a Consultation process in annexation issues, attempting to resolve some issues and provide leadership into the future
- FCM – Redefining rural Canada – currently described as anything with population under 100,000, considering separate funding for roads & bridges
- Gas Tax money to be coming out in a few weeks
- Farm & Ranch Water Program - Consideration of SARM administrating portable pipe line and pumps
- Outgrown office – looking into other properties in downtown Regina
- BSE Canwood Project, increased funding to 50%
Laurel Feltin, Director of Agriculture Operations, SARM
- Introduction of new hiring, Curtis McManus
- Update on Invasive Plants, lobby to add Tordon 22 K to the eligible product, Club Root Management Plan (Contact Faye Dokken 787-4671 Sask. Ag)
- Report on Agriflexibility – increasing funds to Environmental Farm Program
Ken Engel, SARM Executive Director Report on MREP (47.1 million in funding)
- Support economic development of the province – Eligible projects include value added processing, ILO, Agr. Crop Delivery,
- Administrated through SARM
BRIDGES – Commencing in 2010, SARM will administer bridge program
Role of RM’s – Deliver road & bridge projects, Plan ahead to prepare design, obtain DFO and Navigable Water Permits, Tendering Process. 70 applications received in 2009 for 28 million in funding requests for 8 million allocations.
CTP - Funding applies to designated corridors only. 9 million for construction, 6 million for maintenance.
Municipal Bridge Inspection Program – Call for proposals by June 12th, 1500 bridges to be inspected.
Gordon King – Bridge Presentation – Provided information on Infrastructure Stimulus Program Components. Spoke on the transition issues to SARM, and that the Bridge Management System would be assisting with the transition.
Lloyd Hartle – Sask Power - Related rural customer concerns respecting Sask. Power, overhead line contacts, poles in fields, reliability. Encouraged forsight in planning economic development in municipalities – include Sask Power in considerations and provide as much lead time as possible.
Mr. Hartle provided information on the relocation program. Sask Power uses a targeted approach whereby relocation occurs on lines with the greatest needs. There is no rate increase as a result of the program.
Farmyard Relocation Program – For requests to relocate 1-2 poles – Sask Power pays 75% of the costs – customer pays 25% up to $2,000.00. Program Telephone No. 1-800-757-6937
Ken McBride – SMHI &AMHI – Report on operations and 2008 Corporate Overview
Andrew Liu, Chair Provincial Rural Road Classification System
Outlined the ministry’s 5 year capital plan, maintenance cost benefits of gravel vs. TMS , Outlined the rating system being set forth in the Rural Highway Strategy and the process for appealing to the Committee.
Terry Shmidt , Assistant Deputy Minister – Operations Division Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure:
Discussed the budget, prioritization and projects determined for period 2008 – 2012. Alternative projects for highway improvement, Stewardship Projects and Strategic Integrated Rural System. Expanding primary system by 5,000 km.
Discussion - Has there been any thought to “railing” gravel from source to Highways?
Adjourn – 3:10 p.m.